first_imgThe Air Force’s plan to defer retiring its fleet of A-10 close air support aircraft until fiscal 2022 means that the service intends to complete the beloved attack plane’s departure from its inventory by Oct. 1, 2021, and was not meant to indicate the service planned to retain its full inventory of the aircraft until that time, officials clarified this week.“The budget defers the A-10’s final retirement until 2022, replacing it with F-35s on a squadron-by-squadron basis so we’ll always have enough aircraft for today’s conflict,” Defense Secretary Ash Carter told reporters on Feb. 2 when he previewed the department’s FY 2017  budget request.This week, though, a spokeswoman confirmed that the Air Force will begin retiring the aircraft in FY 2018 by divesting two squadrons, or 49 aircraft. The service will retire 49 aircraft in FY 2019, 64 in FY 2020, and 96 in FY 2021, reported Defense News.The multi-role F-35 will replace the A-10 — along with the rest of the service’s legacy fighter jets — although officials have said the fifth-generation fighter cannot match the A-10 as a single-mission close air support (CAS) aircraft.“We are losing CAS capacity, that’s what the Budget Control Act has done to us,” Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh said during a House Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday.The Air Force needs to begin divesting A-10 squadrons in FY 2018 to free up the necessary manpower to field the F-35 when it reaches full operational capability in FY 2021, Welsh said. The service is experiencing shortages in maintenance personnel, including crew chiefs and avionics specialists. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

first_img It’s showtime for Apple’s streaming service • Apple Tags Apple iPhone XS Apple purges parental control apps it says pose a security… See it Over the past year Apple said it became aware that several of the apps utilized mobile device management (MDM) software. This “gives a third party control and access over a device and its most sensitive information including user location, app use, email accounts, camera permissions and browsing history.” MDM software is often used by businesses to easily manage and control their employees’ devices, but Apple said that in mid-2017 it updated its guidelines about the use of MDM for non-enterprise purposes.”It is incredibly risky — and a clear violation of App Store policies — for a private, consumer-focused app business to install MDM control over a customer’s device,” Apple said. “Beyond the control that the app itself can exert over the user’s device, research has shown that MDM profiles could be used by hackers to gain access for malicious purposes.” Share your voice 2 Apple said it gave the app developers 30 days to fix the guideline violations. Several did, but the others that didn’t had their apps removed from the App Store. “Apple has always supported third-party apps on the App Store that help parents manage their kids’ devices,” the company said. “Contrary to what The New York Times reported over the weekend, this isn’t a matter of competition. It’s a matter of security.”The iPhone maker introduced its own screen-time and parental-controls features last year when it unveiled iOS 12, the most recent major update to its mobile operating system. On Friday, CEO Tim Cook discussed screen addiction at the Time 100 Summit in New York.Apple’s Screen Time feature came following backlash from investors and users over concerns about phone addiction among children. Two of Apple’s major shareholders published an open letter in January 2018 that asked Apple to take a socially responsible approach toward children’s device use. It cited concerns about mental health problems and other issues that come from heavy phone use. The Times report on Saturday said the makers of two of the App Store’s most popular parental control apps filed a complaint Thursday with the European Union’s competition office, with one saying Apple compelled it to alter its app in ways that made it less effective than Apple’s parental controls.Last month, music-streaming service Spotify filed a complaint about Apple with European Union regulators, saying the Apple Music purveyor uses its grip on the App Store to stifle innovation, weaken competition and unfairly tax its rivals. Apple called Spotify’s claims “misleading.” $999 Related stories $999 Best Buy See It Apple, App Store again face accusations of anticompetitive behavior Screen time is rising and it’s ruining us: 11 ways to cut back Apple helps you kick iPhone addiction with iOS 12 Spotify: Apple’s App Store abuses its power to ‘stifle’ rivals Sprint See It reading • Apple says it removed parental control apps for security reasons, not competition Apple CEO Tim Cook has made privacy a priority for his company. James Martin/CNET Apple on Sunday fired back at a New York Times report that said the company has been using its hold on the App Store to hurt competitors’ products.A Saturday report in the Times said that in the past year, Apple has targeted 11 of the 17 most downloaded third-party apps designed to help phone users limit screen time or oversee their children’s phone use. Apple either removed the apps from the App Store outright or restricted them in some way, the Times said.But Apple on Sunday published a statement in its newsroom titled, “The facts about parental control apps.” In it, the company said it recently removed several parental control apps from the App Store because “they put users’ privacy and security at risk.”center_img Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X Comments Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR $999 iOS 12 Apple See It Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) Now playing: Watch this: Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 97 Photos See All $999 Boost Mobile Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Phones Mobile Apps 2:12last_img read more

first_imgThe Audi logo is pictured during the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show in Los Angeles.ReutersThe automobile market in India is witnessing a fall in the number of cars being sold and the most affected of all is the luxury carmaker Audi. The German auto company has put its further investments in the country on hold due to the fluctuations in the market.Rahil Ansari, head of Audi India told Economic Times that the investments in the country are not confirmed at the moment as any decision would be taken on the basis of how the market develops, during the inauguration of a sales outlet in Gurgaon. He also mentioned that last year the company sold 6,463 units which don’t justify the idea of making commitments of investing in the country in the future, said Ansari.The company, however, decided upon taking a sustainable path that can bring back the overall volume of sales to 10,000 units, provided the taxes and customer satisfaction see a substantial improvement.  Representational ImageINDRANIL MUKHERJEE/AFP/Getty ImagesThe slow pace of the local market may affect Audi’s annual sales to see a dip in 2019. The recent inauguration of a sales outlet would help boost the demand for the luxury car among the Indian public.To recover from this, the company will launch 10 vehicles and special edition vehicles that will contribute to more sales. During the event, Ansari admitted that he doesn’t see a very positive progress for at least one year. But the company is hoping on redeeming its losses in the second half of 2019.The idea for a proposed recovery plan is to launch more petrol, hybrid and fully electric cars as the introduction of 2020 BS-VI norms will make diesel cars costlier as the taxes levied in the norm cannot be adhered to by the manufacturer. This means the consumer would end up paying lot more than the actual price which can decline the sales of the luxury brand. Audi PB18 e-tron conceptHowever, to give their best shot in fighting BS-VI, Audi has decided to launch the A6 and A8 sedans in the second half of this year, alongside its fully electric e-Tron which is a plan yet to work out.last_img read more

first_imgPeople shout slogans during a protest against what they say is the draft list of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in the northeastern state of Assam, in Kolkata, India, 30 August 2018. Photo: ReutersNimai Hajong remembers almost nothing of the hills of eastern Bangladesh where he was born more than half a century ago, having fled as a small child to India where he has lived as a refugee ever since.The 58-year-old has been declared a foreigner — one of four million people effectively stripped of citizenship by the government of the northeastern state of Assam.Their names have been left off a draft list of citizens published late July that rights groups say threatens to render millions stateless if they cannot prove they are Indian.The controversial registry includes only those able to show they were in Assam before 1971, when millions fled to the state to escape Bangladesh’s war of independence, and their descendants.However, many whose families arrived before 1971 say authorities have rejected their papers and left them off the list.Critics say it is the latest move by the right-wing government of prime minister Narendra Modi to bolster India’s Hindu majority at the expense of minorities. India will hold a national election next year.Many of those left off the list are Muslims, but those of other minorities and faiths — including Hindus — have also missed out.Assam, where one third of the population is Muslim, has for decades been wracked by tensions over migrants and is the only Indian state to compile such a register.Just over four million of the total Assam population of more than 30 million people who applied to be on the list were excluded from the draft, according to the registrar general of India.State officials say no “genuine” Indians need to worry about being left off the list, and there are avenues for appeal.But for Nimai — who fled persecution in Bangladesh as a five-year-old on his mother’s back — his world has been upended once more.- ‘Where do we go now?’ -His family are Hajong, a Hindu indigenous people from the Chittagong Hill Tracts bordering India and Myanmar, a region wracked by decades of ethnic conflict.They were shocked to discover their names left off after submitting the same paperwork to authorities that had allowed them to remain in India for more than 50 years.”What do we do now? We have accepted this land as our home since 1964, and we have nowhere to go,” Hajong told AFP in the small settlement of Bamunigaon, roughly 30 kilometres (19 miles) from Assam’s capital Guwahati.”We have lived here all these years as refugees, but I want to die an Indian.”The list will not be finalised until December, and state and federal governments have sought to allay concerns about the process.But that has done little to ease the anxiety of those excluded from the draft, who fear a life of limbo — or even deportation to Bangladesh.”I was told there was a massacre there, forcing my parents to flee with others from their village,” said Gunamoni Dalu, a Hajong woman whose family fled Bangladesh half a century ago to India.She was born in India in 1968, but was left off the list.”Since the death of my father, I have lived alone here,” she said, fretting about her future.News of the draft register sparked opposition protests in the national parliament and outrage in Assam, where the state government brought in 25,000 extra security forces in case of trouble.Assam, known for its lush tea estates and cool hill climate, has witnessed terrible violence between indigenous tribes and settlers.About 2,000 suspected migrants were butchered in a single day in Nellie in 1983. Nearly all were Muslim, and many were children.- Local tensions -Modi’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party won control of Assam in 2016 after promising to expel illegal immigrants and protect the rights of indigenous groups.Millions fled Bangladesh during its 1971 war of independence from Pakistan, but waves of refugees including the Hajong and the Buddhist Chakma had also escaped persecution to come to India before that.Many settled in Assam, which shares a long border with Bangladesh.Migrants have since been accused of illegally entering the state and taking land and jobs, causing tensions with locals.Rights groups have compared deletion from the citizenship list to Myanmar’s removal of rights and protections for its Rohingya community in 1982.Robin Koch had hoped the process “would have sealed our Indian identity once and for all”.”Instead, I don’t know what went wrong. I can’t eat and sleep at night,” said the 55-year-old Hajong man, whose family crossed the border in 1964.”After our parents escaped… we lost all links with our clan. We have no one there now.”last_img read more

first_imgMarch 10 on the Oprah Winfrey Theater stage of the National Museum of African American History & Culture, Meshaun LaBrone took on the iconic role of Kwame Ture aka Stokely Carmichael. In the one man show, Power!: Stokely Carmichael LaBrone’s Stokely Carmichael took a scattered crowd of viewers on an hour-long journey through the mind of the former Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) national chairman.In introducing the play, Deirdre Cook, director of public programs for the museum, noted that the play’s approach helped shape a better understanding of the civil rights icon as a man.Writer and actor Meshaun LaBrone as Stokely Carmichael, in his March 10, performance of Power!: Stokely Carmichael, after he randomly selected AFRO reporter, Christina Sturdivant- Sani to join him on stage and participate in the production.Using theatrical elements from the Theatre of the Absurd made famous by Parisian playwright Samuel Beckett, LaBrone presented a characterization seeking to break down the conventional walls of theatre to help us better understand the man that was Carmichael while wrestling with the current reality of movements like Black Lives Matter. The use of the absurdist style of story-telling allows for a portrayal of Ture that is divergent from the collective recollection of seriousness of the icon but is sincerely more intimate as we encounter the playfulness, the contemplative, and vulnerable elements of the man we aren’t privy to by simply digesting his public persona.As both writer and actor of the play, LaBrone trains his lens on Ture during his organizing of the 1966 March Against Fear honoring the attempted March of James Meredith. This period is critical as it is when Ture publicly feuds with the concept of nonviolence utilized by Dr. King and the SCLC while warming up to the Black Nationalist sentiments of the recently slain el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz formerly known as Malcolm X. Alluding to the tensions inherent in Ture as a major player in Civil Rights, LaBrone characterizes him as born of both “Martin and Malcolm.”LaBrone’s Carmichael states, “Dr. King’s policy was that nonviolence would achieve the gains for Black people in the United States. His major assumption was that if you are nonviolent, if you suffer, your opponent will see your suffering and will be moved to change his heart. That’s very good. He only made one fallacious assumption: In order for nonviolence to work, your opponent must have a conscience. The United States has none.”The play’s team – including Hope Villanueva (projection designer/PR), Elisheba Ittoop (sound designer), Marianne Meadows (stage manager/lighting designer) and Jennifer Knight (director) – create an engaging environment with spare use of the museum’s expansive stage and very little set design. Instead the Carmichael character is given great audio and visual aids to engage with. Use of well-crafted video montages set the scene of the brutality experienced by civil rights protestors of the past while a poignant ending montage speaks to parallels of the violence experienced by Black bodies throughout Black protest movements historically ending with a powerful photograph of what looks to be Sojourner Truth. Not to be outdone the audial elements of the play are so strong that they serve as a secondary character for the solo actor to engage and expand ideas with.After the hour-long show, commissioned by the museum as part of its Taking the Stage programming, the actor took questions from the audience about everything from their experience with the play to LaBrone’s stint as a Metropolitan Police Department officer and how that influenced his depiction.Meshaun LaBrone can be seen again in May helming his play Spook for Capital Fringe Theatre on Florida Ave.The National Museum of African American Heritage & Culture has several upcoming events for the month of March including a package for the Women’s History Month as part of the #HiddenHerstory campaign.last_img read more