first_imgPresident Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has frankly declared that 2014 has so far been a very difficult year for the people and government of Liberia as a result of the numerous problems that the country continues to experience.The Liberian leader noted that since the turn of this year, Liberia has been going through difficult times. The country is facing a very serious budget shortfall, depreciation in the exchange rate, flooding as a result of climate change and manmade interventions. The sharp decline in the price of rubber has also taken a toll on the country’s economy by further upsetting the balance of trade.Worst of all the calamities that have befallen the nation, she declared, is the spread of the deadly Ebola virus, which has already claimed the lives of more than one hundred Liberians.Delivering her Independence Day Message at the 167th Independence ceremony at the Centennial Memorial Pavilion in Monrovia last Saturday, President Sirleaf said the Ebola virus had become a serious tragedy that continues to claim lives on a daily basis.The Daily Observer has reliably learned that latest victim one of Liberia’s most senior medical practitioners, Dr. Sam Brisbane, the chief internist at the John Fitzgerald Kennedy (JFK) Memorial hospital.  The Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, during its latest update on July 20, 2014,  indicated that it had recorded 224 clinical cases of EVD, including 77 laboratory confirmations and 127 fatal cases. All of these cases are from six counties —  Lofa, Montserrado, Margibi, Bomi, Bong, and Nimba Counties.The latest information also has it that the virus is now in Grand Gedeh.“Through the 167 years of our existence, we have come against many challenges and have overcome them,” said President Sirleaf. “This is the proud history of our country.   We lay claim to that legacy today. We will fight against this deadly Ebola virus, not by blaming each other, but by coming together to defeat it. It is real.  It kills, but it can be prevented if we move in unison to resist it,” the President confidently declared.Although the country has faced three years of successive budget shortfalls since Minister Amara Konneh took over the Finance Ministry, this year’s seems to be the worst, as it led, in part, led to the cancellation of the Independence celebrations scheduled to take place in Sinoe and Grand Kru Counties.Public Works Minister, Dr. Antoinette Weeks has, on several occasions, complained that the Finance Ministry was not willing to disburse funds for the construction of the Sinoe roads, which was the greatest impediment to the hosting of the celebration. The deplorable condition of the roads which government was unable to rehabilitate, Dr. Weeks said, was the reason for the cancellation.President Sirleaf in her Independence Day Message, said, “We should have been marking this Anniversary in the southeastern counties of Sinoe and Grand Kru. However, we decided on a postponement to ensure that we are better prepared to give the best to our compatriots in Greenville and Barclayville, and the several other cities and communities, which are to benefit from the multiplying effects of hosting these celebrations.”She further stated, “At the same time, we use this platform to remind ourselves that the celebrations are scheduled to take place in Maryland, River Gee and Grand Gedeh in 2015; and in Rivercess, in 2016.  Let us all begin the preparations for those counties right now.”Liberian President said: “Fellow citizens, the hallmark of success of any nation is not the improvement in social and economic infrastructures; it is not in sound policies and law; it is in the love of country. This love must make us brave in times of troubles as well as compel us to reach out to each others in times of distress.” “We must come together as never before inspite of our political, religious and social persuasions. We must show a deep sense of nationalism. We must reach across borders and join our brothers and sisters in the other neighboring countries that are also affected to show a continuing common response,” the Liberian leader pleaded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgAndre Russell believes Kolkata Knight Riders were just a couple of hits away from beating Royal Challengers Bangalore at the Eden Gardens on Friday and rued the fact that a promotion in the batting order for him could have made a difference in the outcome of the match.Andre Russell had almost pulled off the run chase for the Knight Riders with his 25-ball 65 but they fell just 10 runs short of the target in the end.Chasing a stiff 214 for victory, Russell and combined Nitish Rana (85 not out) for a 118-run stand off 48 balls to take KKR to within two hits from a win in the last over.”When you lose cricket games like this, it’s a sweet and sour feeling. The guys tried very hard tonight. Just a four and a six would have taken us over the line. But we have a lot to learn from this game,” Russell told reporters.KKR were 79/4 in 11.5 overs when Russell came in to bat. With 113 required off the final six overs, Russell gave the visitors a huge scare by clubbing nine sixes in 25 balls as it came down to Moeen Ali’s final over before victory could at last be guaranteed for RCB.But in the middle overs, after KKR had lost the first three wickets inside the Powerplay, Robin Uthappa and Rana stumbled along, accumulating just 46 off 41 balls in a partnership that had Russell fuming in the dugout.”I’m disappointed to be honest. We lost the game in the middle even though we should have restricted RCB for less than 200. The ball was in our court and we tossed the ball on their side. To lose by 10 runs, its just two hits away. In the middle period, if we scored a bit faster we would definitely get the runs with even balls to spare.advertisement”We have to go and regroup again, and have meetings about these things and discuss what we need to discuss and what to do at the right time,” Russell said.Asked if he feels he should bat at No. 4 especially in these situations, Russell slowly nodded and said: “I believe that but (finger in front of lip to indicate he cannot speak about it). I think sometimes you have to flexible as a team.”Russell justified his thought by saying that when he comes in to bat, Kohli would go to his best bowlers. That would mean they would not have too many overs up their sleeves towards the back end.”When you look at the makeup of our team, I would not mind going to bat at No. 4. I believe when I am at the crease, Virat Kohli is going to bowl his best bowlers to get me out.”And those best bowlers will have less overs in the back end. So, even if I score 60 off 25 balls, I give the team that pump. Dale Steyn (2/40) or maybe the other guys will have one over to bowl at the death and maybe, I think me going to bat early would definitely be a good thing for KKR,” the 30-year old said.Russell, though, added that keeping in mind the team combination, and what he can do in the last 4-5 overs, he is best kept for the end.”But with our makeup of the team, that’s not a good time at the moment because for me to bat at the backend, I know what I can do in 4-5 overs,” Russell said.Also Read | Virat Kohli has 5 IPL hundreds as captain. All others combined have 4Also Read | Promised AB de Villiers I will score a hundred: Virat Kohli after fireworks vs KKRAlso Read | Virat, you little biscuit: AB de Villiers reacts after Kohli’s 5th IPL hundredlast_img read more

first_imgKolkata: A middle-aged man committed suicide by jumping in front of a Dum Dum-bound rake at Rabindra Sarovar Metro station on Saturday afternoon leading to the disruption of services in both Up and Down line for some time. The incident occurred at around 12.09 pm. The victim whose identity is yet to be ascertained was found anxiously waiting at Rabindra Sarovar Metro station. When a Dum Dum-bound train was entering the platform, he jumped in front of the speeding train. The motorman tried to stop the rake by applying the emergency brakes but the victim, aged around 50, had already gone beneath the rake. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe Metro officials disconnected the power supply into the third rail immediately. The Railway Protection Force and Metro officials reached the spot and started the rescue operation. It took around 45 minutes to recover the victim’s body from the railway track. He was taken to MR Bangur Hospital where the doctors pronounced him brought dead. Metro services were disrupted for almost an hour after the incident. Truncated services between Maidan and Noapara stations in the Up line were available. Normalcy was restored after 1.30 pm.last_img read more