first_imgThe final total was 130 items purchased, 16 companies which comes to a total of 2,080 food items going to food banks.The following companies accepted Kim’s challenge:Sand and Stone JewelryRustic Country DecorAmanda’s No FrillsFive Star Martial ArtsAmanda Wagner – Century 21Lana Hamilton PhotographyBurnley Enterprises Ltd.Energetic Services Ltd.Unforgettable Memories & Canadian GrindPeeJay ContractingTechmation ElectricCandoo Oilfield ServicesPembina PipelineNortech Advance NDTUrban Systems LtdNorth Peace OptometryRae Fehr PhotographyMRC Global MidfieldPeace Country RentalsAJ ForsythRemax Action RealtyDaron Knipe Welding Ltd. UPDATE: 130 items sold, with 22 businesses matching. A new total of 2,860 items to be donated.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Today many vendors packed the North Peace Arena for the Moose FM block party, but Kim Livingstone was selling with a purpose.Livingstone runs Sand and Stone Jewelry. She issued a challenge to local companies, for every piece of jewelry that she sells today, she will donate 1 food item to local food banks.- Advertisement -With the oil and gas downturn, Livingstone said that she knows the need is extremely high for those needing food, and that shelves are empty, something she wants to help change. She said her family is fortunate, but she knows many aren’t.As of late Saturday afternoon, 15 businesses have agreed to match Livingstone’s donations. She has sold 120 items so far. That means, 15 food items for every piece sold, which at 5:00 pm on Sunday, equals 1800 food items.Livingstone said on Sunday that she was excited to see how big of a impact they could make, and that is was great to see so many companies wanting to get involved.Advertisementlast_img read more

first_img0Shares0000Ugari players celebrating after scoring the second goal. Photo/ Gerald AndersonKISII, Kenya, Dec 9 – Two sublime goals from Emmah Okwoyo and Carolyne Atieno inspired Ugari Starlets from Migori to the final of the Girls Nyanza Region Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom after beating Ekenyoro from Nyamira 2-1 in the semi-final staged at the Gusii Stadium on Saturday.Ugari will battle it out with Nyando’s Plateau Queens in Sunday’s final after they thumped Omobera Girls from Nyamira 4-1 in the first semi-final. Ugari took control of the first half and they could have gone up by two goals in the opening half hour had they converted the open opportunities. First Janet Najoro saw her feeble shot easily collected by the Ekenyoro keeper Vickline Nyokoni in the box.The second chance that came minutes later could have seen Millicent Mudegani send her side ahead but the deadly attacker just missed the target by a whisker after her loop effort went over the bar.Mudegari made Nyokoni work more when she unleashed a shot that rattled the woodwork before the keeper saved the danger.Ugari continued to pile pressure on Ekenyoro goal and had a striker reached at the box on time to tap in a Okwoyo’s cross, then the Migori side could be celebrating for the opener but unfortunately no one was there.Ugari’s pressure on Ekenyoro finally paid off after Okwoyo skillfully from a tight angle pulled a thunderbolt that caught the keeper flat foot to open the scores on the stroke of half time.-Second half-Ugari reached the final after beating Ekenyoro 2-1 at the Gusii Stadium on Saturday 9th December 2017. Photo/GERALD AndersonAtieno ensured her Ugari team start the last half with a bang after she rose high to powerfully nod past the keeper just a minute inside the second half and hand the Migori side a 2-0 lead.The Ekenyoro custodian was called to action once more, stopping a low header from Mudegani.However, Ekenyoro pulled one back in the 67th minute courtesy of a well taken shot from Salome Kwamboka, but they could not find the equaliser at Ugari solidified their defence to guarantee them the win and a place in the final.-Plateau Queens-Plateau Queens from Nyando booked a slot in the final after beating Omobera Girls from Nyamira 4-1. Photo/GERALD ANDERSONIn the first semi-final, Mercy Akinyi grabbed a hat-trick while Sylvia Nabwire scored a goal as Plateau Queens thrashed Omobera 4-1 and sail through to the final despite missing a penalty.Margaret Nyaboke netted the consolation for the Omobera Girls in the 72nd minute.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_imgJose Mourinho’s stadium ban for Saturday’s match at Stoke was imposed after the Chelsea boss unleashed an expletive-laden half-time attack on referee Jonathan Moss and then refused to leave the officials’ dressing room at West Ham’s Upton Park.The Football Association on Friday released the written reasons for the case which Mourinho opted not to contest, instead missing Saturday’s Premier League encounter at Stoke’s Britannia Stadium.Referee Moss’ testimony from half-time of the October 24 clash between West Ham and Chelsea was key, with Mourinho furious after Nemanja Matic had been sent-off for two bookable offences and the visitors denied two goals, one due to goal-line technology and the other due to offside.“When myself and my colleagues left the field of play at half time, as we entered the tunnel area to get to our dressing room, Mr Mourinho the Chelsea manager was waiting for us clearly agitated and began aggressively asking about first half decisions,” Moss says in the written reasons.“Rather than publically (sic) speak to him I asked him to step into the entrance of my dressing room escorted by Simon Sutton, the West Ham United security manager.“Mr Mourinho asked me about a tackle, an offside and a goal line clearance. I gave him brief answers to his questions. After this I asked him to leave the dressing room area.“He refused. I asked him again. After he refused again I asked Mr Sutton to escort him from the room. At this point Mr Mourinho became very aggressive and animated.“He shouted that you ******* referees are weak… (Arsenal manager Arsene) Wenger is right about you… you are ******* weak.“I advised Mr Mourinho not to take his position in the technical area for the second half due to his actions.”Reports from the assistant referees and fourth official corroborated Moss’ comments, the written reasons said.Mourinho was informed of the charge on October 26 and admitted it three days later before the sanction was announced on Monday.The Blues boss chose not to appeal, announcing his decision on Friday.“It is clear from both the letter from Mr Mourinho and his submissions that he regrets the incident and to his credit he made an early admission,” the written reasons said.“His behaviour was in the opinion of the commission unacceptable and he showed a total lack of respect for the match officials and the sanctuary of their changing room.“That is a most serious matter and has to be dealt with accordingly.”The three-man commission argued a financial penalty “has little or no impact upon his behaviour” after assessing his previous disciplinary matters. He was, though, fined £40,000.The commission also determined a touchline ban would be insufficient, given he would still have access to the tunnel area.A stadium ban was therefore considered the appropriate penalty.Mourinho on Friday accepted the punishment, having failed in an appeal against a suspended one-match stadium ban and £50,000 fine for a separate offence for comments made about officials following the loss to Southampton.The Chelsea boss said: “I decided to give up. I know the result of that appeal already.“It’s stupid to fight a fight that you know you have already lost.” The FA have released the written reasons stating why the Portuguese manager was handed a stadium ban 1last_img read more

first_imgLane Branstetter barreled into the endzone on a 5-yard run with under 90 seconds to play as Ferndale High had the final say in a back-and-forth scoring fest Friday night on the road at the Redwood Bowl on a wild first night of Little 4 Conference play.Branstetter’s touchdown and subsequent 2-point conversion catch by Tristen Martin gave Ferndale a 45-38 advantage over Arcata as the Wildcats hung on for a win by the same margin against the defending conference champions.Landon Gomes had three …last_img read more

first_imgThe Indigenous Dance Academy practicing in Tembisa. (Images: Redbull Amaphiko)The Indigenous Dance Academy (IDA) is making waves internationally with its choreography on display in a new music video by Sons of Kemet, the British jazz band and winner of a Music of Black Origin award.The IDA is a community-based dance project in Tembisa, in Ekurhuleni, that aims to solve social problems through dance.PANTSULA IS INTERNATIONALIts pantsula crew was filmed earlier this year for the video. Sons of Kemet’s front man, Shabaka Hutchings, had seen the dancers during his yearly visits to South Africa.Pantsula is a highly energetic dance form that originated in the black townships of South Africa during the apartheid era.“I’ve been interested in the synthesis of Sons of Kemet’s music with African dance for a while,” Hutchings, an award-winning saxophonist, composer and bandleader, told news site Redbull Amaphiko. “The challenge was always to find a dance style which portrayed the same aesthetic as our music and wasn’t simply pasting one genre upon another.”The band Sons of Kemet.Once he saw pantsula dancers, he said, he knew it would fit with the band’s music.“Indigenous Dance Academy’s mission is to provide dancers with an artistic education that fosters excellence in all forms of street dance,” explained IDA founder Jarrel Mathebula. “The key goal for the academy is to instil in its dancers a desire to have a positive influence within their community.”Dancing to jazz was a first for the group and they welcomed the new experience.“We’re not used to dancing to jazz but this opportunity got us out of our comfort zone,” said Mathebula. “I had to learn about Sons of Kemet through their music and feel them through their art and I fell in love with the song 30 seconds in.”FOR YOUTH BY YOUTHThe academy was born out of the realisation that Tembisa youth faced a battery of social ills, such as drugs and alcohol abuse, peer pressure and petty crime, and teenage pregnancy. A lack of art centres and extramural activities at schools also meant the youngsters in the area were susceptible to these evils.“The project is a movement for youth lead by youth for young people who are excluded from learning due to poverty, political unrest, discrimination or cultural bias,” explained Mathebula. “This is led by young people with the belief in the power of social connectivity and a passion to drive change.”last_img read more

first_imgThe long-term water supply projects in Rajasthan will be completed on time to ensure the availability of water in the geographically difficult areas. Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has given instructions for speeding up implementation of water supply schemes for both drinking and irrigation.Mr. Gehlot said at a review meeting here after the appointment of committees for the Rajiv Gandhi Jal Sanchay Yojana that the long-term projects would permanently resolve the issue of paucity of water caused by scanty and erratic rainfall in the State. “The projects should be formulated to meet the local needs and regularly monitored,” he said.The progress of projects financed by institutions such as the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development, Japan International Cooperation Agency and New Development Bank as well as the dam, canal and small irrigation projects was reviewed on the occasion.The committees appointed at the district, block and village panchayat levels for the Yojana will coordinate the activities of various departments and monitor the progress of work for water conservation.last_img read more

first_imgOver 300 teams will compete at the four day event, including teams from Kambala Girls School and Reddam House School in New South Wales and Papanui High School in New Zealand. Round games will be played for the first three days of the event, with finals to be played on Sunday, 10 October. Six divisions will be contested at the tournament, including the following divisions: Junior Boys, Junior Girls, Junior Mixed, Open Boys, Open Girls and Open Mixed. Benowa State High School will be going for its third title in a row in the Junior Boys division, while it will also be looking to win back-to-back Junior Mixed titles. In the Junior Girls division, last year’s runners up, All Hallows, will be looking to go one place better than in 2009, with last year’s winner, Cavendish Road State High School, not attending. In the Open Boys division, Keebra Park State High School will be looking for its third consecutive title, following wins in 2008 and 2009. Keebra Park will also be hoping to go one place better in the Open Girls division, with last year’s winners, Caboolture, not attending. The Open Mixed division is back in 2010, after not being played at last year’s event. The finals will be played on Sunday, with the Open and Junior Mixed finals to be played at 1.00pm, the Junior Girls and Boys finals to be played at 1.40pm and the Open Girls and Boys finals to be played at 2.20pm. For more information, please visit the Queensland All Schools Championships website: www.qldallschools.comlast_img read more

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Valencia, Atletico Madrid battle for Man Utd striker Alexisby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAlexis Sanchez is wanted in Spain.The Chilean winger, who has struggled to make any impact at Manchester United, could have a route out of the club.Sanchez is wanted by Valencia and Atletico Madrid.And Spanish publication El Gol Digital suggests he is determined to leave United on a permanent deal.One stumbling block would be the player’s wages, which are reportedly £350,000-per-week before bonuses.Sanchez may also want to prove himself under interim boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer before deciding on his future in the summer. last_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd winger Daniel James admits drawing inspiration from Eden Hazardby Paul Vegas19 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United winger Daniel James admits he draws inspiration from Eden Hazard.Hazard established himself as one of the best players in the world during his time at Chelsea before leaving for Real Madrid in the summer.And United forward James has admitted he’s tried to learn from the Belgium international.“The way Hazard was at Chelsea – his movement in behind, when to go and when to stay – he’s so quick, but the way he stops people and goes, and little one-twos, getting shots off quickly is something he’s done his whole career,” he said.”Getting in the box for tap-ins is something I need to improve on.“When Hazard does a one-two you can’t get anywhere near him.”When I was younger, people said to me you won’t always be able to rely on speed. I used to just kick it past players and run – but nowadays that won’t happen, especially when people bank up on me.” last_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi: Senior AAP leader Sanjay Singh met the Delhi Police commissioner Amulya Patnaik at Police Headquarters at ITO on Monday and demanded security review for Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal who was attacked recently in a public rally in Motinagar.Speaking to reportes Sanjay Singh said that they have given a demand letter to the Police chief for the necessary action. Raising concerns over the increasing attacks on Arvind kejriwal, Singh said that the Chief Minister has been atacked multiple times which is an area of concern. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehicles”Delhi CM has been attacked 9 times, this is not normal, who would be held responsible if something unfortunate happens with him? We have asked the Commissioner to analyse his security,” Sanjay Singh said. Sanjay also said that the family of the accused man has already confessed that they have an inclination towards the BJP so there is no question of this man being a part of AAP. He also attacked both Congress and BJP for accusing AAP of self-staging the attack. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: Javadekar”Rahul Gandhi’s silence on the issue is also questionable when almost all are condemning the attack on Delhi CM,” Sanjay Singh said. Asked why did the police say that the accused belong to AAP, Sanjay Singh took a jibe at Delhi Police and said that when the incidents will happen with the protection of the government the language of the police would be like this only. The accused, Suresh, has been booked under the relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and has been sent to 2 days of judicial custody.last_img read more