first_imgzoom Acclaimed as the UK’s Best Port of Call, and ‘One of Europe’s Secret Capitals’, the Port of Tyne is one of the most exciting destinations on Earth.Passengers and cruise operators can be assured they are in safe hands coming to the Port of Tyne’s International Passenger Terminal which has been developed to welcome the world’s best and biggest cruise ships with experienced staff renowned for their efficiency and excellent customer service.With its long-established reputation for passenger operations and mini cruises to the Baltics and Scandinavia, the Port of Tyne offers world-class passenger services.Last year over 623,000 cruise and ferry passengers passed through the Port’s International Passenger Terminal with more expected during 2014.The Port of Tyne continues to be a popular choice for cruise lines, offering easy access to the rest of Britain, Norway and the Fjords, Iceland, Northern Europe, the Baltics, the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Madeira, Lanzarote and Grand Canaria), Spain, Portugal and the Mediterranean.Steven Harrison, Port of Tyne’s Chief Operating Officer, said: “Our award winning cruise terminal is fully equipped to handle turnaround and transit calls, with check-in facilities, excellent international transport links and of course world-class tourist attractions right on our doorstep. As the destination becomes less of a secret we are geared up to welcome growing numbers of passengers and to provide the best possible service to cruise operators.”Cruise and Maritime Voyages, Fred. Olsen and Thomson cruises will all operate turnaround calls from the Port of Tyne in 2014.There are two new companies coming to the Port of Tyne in 2014: Portuscale Cruises with the Azores and V-Ships with the Artania.German cruise line Peter Deilmann is returning on a transit call with Deutschland, along with Hapag Lloyd’s inaugural call of Hanseatic and Swan Hellenic revisiting with exclusive cruise ship Minerva.In total 31 cruise calls will be welcomed at the Port of Tyne during the year, including ten transit calls and 21 turnarounds. March 12, 2014last_img read more

first_imgzoom Search and rescue operation for the 16 missing crew of the ill-fated MV Jupiter that sank off the coast of Vietnam on 2 January has been terminated with the withdrawal of the remaining vessels of Vietnam’s Maritime Rescue Coordinating Committee.The termination of the search renders the missing crew lost, Labor and Employment Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz said on Thursday.As informed, Gearbulk, owner of the vessel,  had settled all of the Filipino seafarer-victims’ contractual benefits.The ill-fated vessel, according to a report of POEA Administrator Hans Leo J. Cacdac, had a full complement of 19 Filipino seafarers when it capsized. One of the 19 Filipino seamen, Chief Cook Rojas, has been rescued and is undergoing physical therapy for injuries.Bulk carrier MV Jupiter sank on January 2 about 150 nautical miles off the coast of Vung Tau, Vietnam, killing two crew members, with 16 still missing, and only one survivor.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more